Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie or the happy feminist

A few days ago, I saw that Beyoncé had released a visual album and I went through most of the videos, including the self-titled ones where she explains what the aim of her album was and where her inspiration came from etc. In one of these she mentioned an author called Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie who, she said, was a feminist who inspired her for her videos. I immediately went through Beyoncé's videos again to find the particular song she was talking about, and i finally found it. The song is called "Flawless", and at a certain point, we hear a female voice making a grand statement that does sound very feministic and very true. 
"We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls, you can have ambition, but not too much! You should aim to be succesful, but not too successful, otherwise you will threaten the man."
I always liked Beyoncé, but now I like her even more. I didn't put the whole quote here, because i just wanted to give you a taste of the kind of things that this incredible woman says. Afterwards, I went on Youtube to see what there was about her, and I found this amazing 30 mins talk that she makes on TedTalks channel. What she states are simple truths, but which never seem to be voiced in a way that is so authentic that it actually makes you think (and not just repeat her words as if they were an inexplicable truth), but at the same time with such a great sense of humor that you can't restrain yourself from laughing. I never read any of Chimamanda's books, so I don't know if her books are interesting, but judging from the videos of her that I saw, I can only guess that they must be grandiose. I sure hope I will read them, and if I do, I'll let you know what I think of them! 

I hope you'll get a chance to watch her talk on TedTalks's channel: 



And for all Beyoncé's fans, or for those who don't have time to see the previous video and just want to hear the few sentences that Beyoncé inserted into her "Flawless" song, here's Flawless' video:


Have a great day, and keep your mind sharp!

No comments:

Post a Comment