Friday, July 25, 2014

Americanah

I'm currently reading this incredible book by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie called Americanah and I love it! I have a few pages left to read and I just can't put myself to it, because I just don't want it to end! A few articles back, I wrote an article about this Nigerian woman because of some TedTalk videos of her speeches that I had watched and loved, but I had never read any of her books. Now that I (almost) have, I can honestly say that I will purchase her earlier books as I am literally in awe because of everything about this book... Frankly, I don't know what's not to like about it! I could tell from hearing Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's speech that she was funny, honest, sharp, with a lot of irony and sarcasm, and that's exactly what draw me so much to reading her works. And as you can tell, I am far from being disappointed!

Just to give you an idea of what it's about, it's grossly the story of two Nigerian children who grow up in the same town and go to the same school. They are in love until they go to college, but then the girl leaves Nigeria, to go to America for college. The young man, who was so eager to go to America, cannot seem to have a VISA to leave for his dream country, and leaves Nigeria instead for Britain. Both Youngsters left with the idea of being special people who would become successful no matter what in their new countries, and return to their homeland afterwards to be together, but many of their dreams get crushed, mainly because of how difficult it is for Africans to be treated as honest people, how difficult it is to be accepted in countries where immigration is a primary issue, and how from being one of the privileged in one country, you become the very bottom of the society as soon as you reach another country, if you don't have any money in your bank account (or a bank account for that matter). 

This book's style is incredible because it is never quite sad, but never quite happy either. It sort of makes you live the life you know but through different, more honest eyes, those of someone who's not scared to tell the truth, but also those of someone who accepts mistakes as mistakes, and not as some irreversible nonsense. The tone of the narrative is just as the author's in her speeches, which I'll link you underneath. The story is also very interesting because of it's description of race in three countries of three different continents, Nigeria, America, and the UK. And finally, this book leaves me with an impression of huge hopes for a better world, even though it clearly showed how nasty it is. I'll end this book getting under the skin that the UK and the US might be very powerful countries where you can achieve your dreams, but might just as well not, and that sometimes the best place to be is home, wherever that is for you and me.

Here are some her speeches or interviews that you might find interesting:










Have a great day, and keep your mind sharp!

P.s: Here's the link to an article I wrote a few months back on Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie:
http://thepowerofreality.blogspot.com/2014/03/chimamanda-ngozi-adichie-or-happy.html

No comments:

Post a Comment